Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Amanda's favorite photo



I love this photo for many reasons. Each time I look at it another element strikes me. The composition is strong; the natural shape of the girl is balanced by the stern lines of the window. She is silhouetted, giving her an element of mystery. However the red of her skirt is complemented by the red of the curtains. The main source of light comes from the window behind her. It's a dreary day out, providing cool blue light that barely touches her arms and hair. It's not immediately evident but she's sitting in front of a graveyard. Once you notice this, you wonder why she is there in the first place: is she mourning, is she laughing, does she just happen to be in a place where a graveyard is nearby? The somber light and heavy silhouette is parodied by those cheerful Christmas lights all around her. This photo jerks my emotions around; I'm not sure if I should feel sad or lighthearted. Yet I like being unsure of how I feel; the photo has more impact that way.

Shot by Anthony Siciliano

No comments:

Post a Comment