Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Atlanta Skyline


I grew up in Atlanta, so I've seen this photo hundreds of times. I've always loved how the city skyline stands out against the sky in this picture. It is interesting because the light is not only creating depth in the photo, but defining the buildings in it too. The natural light from the sun in this photo is especially interesting because it is a relatively soft light (because it is at sunset), but because of the angle it is shot from, it creates hard shadows on the building and gives them a solid outline. Had this been shot in the middle of the day, the buildings would have appeared to be flat against the sky because there would not be any defining shadows and the sky would have almost appeared white because the sun is so bright. I also really like how the car lights blend and streak on the highway. I'm not sure how exactly that effect is done, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the exposure time of the film. Either way, it looks really awesome. Although I love the city, Atlanta's skyline is not that fantastic, but the lighting in this photo took the relatively plain subject and made it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment