Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Beginnings of My Lighting Experience

One of my assignments for a class I took a long time ago was to take environmental portraits. I took this one of my friend who lived next to me and I used 3 60-Watt bulbs to get this picture. I wanted to capture the essence of a guitar player and to make sure I lit him well. Luckily we were in a small room and the tungsten bulbs I was using created a very warm effect on him. However, I did not know I could rent a lighting kit or anything from either the J-School or the Media Arts school, but I was able to get this picture really well, flooding his face but not the background and really getting the catch lights in his eyes, which makes the picture much better. The funny thing is that I had another assignment during the same semester to take environmental portraits. I took a similar picture of this same person but was unable to get the catch lights on his eyes. That picture was not as good as this one. Although this picture has a lot of flooded light, I really like the fact that I was able to create what I think as a well-crafted image using a three-bulb lamp and a small dark room. And not using the built-in flash on the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment